Pages

Mr. Johnson's book reviews.

On Thursday, June 10, 2010 1 comments



Horton Hears a Who is a story about an elephant who hears a voice on a speck of dust. After talking with the person on the speck of dust, Horton decides he must protect the speck of dust at all cost. Unfortunately, the other animals in the Jungle think Horton is crazy and attempt to destroy the speck of dust. Eventually, the Who's, the inhabitants of the dust particle, make enough noise for the other animals to hear them and their small world is saved.

I have never really taken the time to read Dr. Seuss books because they seemed a little bizarre to me, but I will read many more of them after reading this book. I really enjoyed reading this book to my son, but I did not enjoy watching the movie. In my opinion, the short rhyming story did not translate well into a full-length movie even though the movie followed the story closely. My biggest complaint is that the movie seemed to focus more on Who-ville than it did Horton’s world. This is somewhat different from the book since the book barely mentioned Who-ville or its inhabitants. Another major difference between the book and the movie is the character Morton. He is not mentioned in the book but he plays a major role in the movie.

I haven’t really read any other books by Dr. Seuss, so I can’t compare Horton Hears a Who to his other works; however, I believe this book is similar to many other children’s books that I have read. This book uses interesting rhymes to tell a story that includes a moral lesson. This is common in many of the other children’s books I’ve read, but Dr. Seuss’s may be more imaginative than the others.

This would have been an excellent book for my twin brother when we were younger. He was always much smaller than the other kids and I think he would have appreciated the message in this story. A person’s a person, no matter how small!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off, I really enjoyed reading this blog. Just wanted to say that.
But I really wanted to comment on the last thing you said: A person's a person, no matter how small.
What Dr. Seuss was more refereeing to was more of an unborn child but you prob knew that.

Post a Comment