Pages

Mr. Johnson's book reviews.

On Tuesday, June 22, 2010 0 comments


Written by author E. B. White in 1952, Charlotte's Web is a classic children's book that is read by almost every kid in elementary school. The book tells the story of small pig being born and saved by a young girl named Fern. Wilbur, the pig, becomes Ferns pet even though he is sold to Fern's uncle after a few weeks. In the barn, the lonely pig becomes friends with a spider named Charlotte who eventually attempts to save Wilbur from the butcher by writing words in her web. Charlotte is very successful in her attempt to save Wilbur and they both end up at the county fair. While at the fair, Charlotte lays her eggs and dies. After having his life saved by Charlotte, Wilbur brings home her eggs and befriends the baby spiders.

I remember hearing this story as a child, but I never actually read the book. I also never took the time to watch the movie since it did not appeal to me as an adult; however, after reading the book and watching the movie, I must admit that I really enjoyed the book and thought the movie was decent. The movie followed the basic premise of the book with the exception of a few minor changes that didn't affect the overall story. For example, the movie includes a scene in which Fern bring Wilbur to school and gets in trouble for the mess he makes. The book does not mention this incident.

This book and movie reminded me of several pets I have owned in the past. While I have never owned a pig, I have owned a number of animals that had to be put down for various reasons. Unfortunately, my vain attempts to save the animals were never as successful as Charlotte's attempt to save Wilbur.

I have never read any other books by E. B. White, so I can't really compare this book to one of his other works.

While reading this book, I realized it is possible to have a happy ending in a children's book that contains a great deal of sadness. Throughout the story Wilbur was worried about becoming Christmas dinner. Fortunately for Wilbur, his friend Charlotte saved him; however, Charlotte died near the end of the story leaving her eggs behind at the fair. Wilbur takes the eggs back to the barn and befriends three of the spiders. In the end, they overcome the trauma of Charlotte's death and live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment